The original reason I started this journal was to chart my progress building a modular synthesizer. For several reasons, I decided this might not be the best idea. So, instead, I’m starting much smaller.
I’ve started on a microphone preamp, based on a 1970’s API design. These preamps are some of the best-sounding anywhere, and were partially responsible for the “west coast sound” of the ’70s and ’80s: Steely Dan, Toto, The Eagles, etc. It’s a nice-sounding design, cheap and simple to build. If you were to buy this in a store, it would cost well over $1,000. I’ve updated the design with new components. Last week I wired it all together, and it works! Sorta. There’s a little bit of hum, and it isn’t very loud yet, but it passes audio. Very exciting.
Here are a few more pictures for anyone who’s interested: