New Score

I’ve been trying out some new composing and recording techniques to get a more realistic sound for film scoring. I wrote this piece using new software called Sibelius, which shows your parts in notation like you’re writing on a big sheet of paper for orchestra. I saved this file as a MIDI file and brought it into Logic, then assigned it to different samples. I used samples from the Vienna Symphonic Library. I went through each string phrase and assigned articulations note by note – sustains, short up bow, short down bow, medium down bow, legato, etc. I think the finished piece is the most realistic sound I’ve gotten out of samplers.

Not Meant to be Seen – MP3

Not Meant to be Seen – PDF of score

I will most likely be scoring a feature film in the near future, so this was some practice for me. Let me know what you think — synthy brass, too much reverb, etc.

Comments (3)

  1. Jeff (reply)

    March 21, 2005 at 10:05 pm

    I remixed it. I can’t leave stuff like this alone. I think it’s finished, and then I work on it some more the next day.

  2. C. Mel and U. Lee (reply)

    March 22, 2005 at 8:32 pm

    Hey Jeff…sounds wonderful to us. Can’t believe that is all done on a synthesizer. Sounds like a 100 piece orchestra. Good Luck on the rest of your score.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Published on: 20 March 2005
Posted by: jlaity
Discussion: 3 Comments